Working in a Private Household has many similarities to working on a luxury yacht. For these roles, excellent 5* service skills and attention to detail are key, as is the ability to remain discreet, well organised and flexible despite the changing demands of the job.
Every private household is different and each of our clients have different requirements. As such, we receive requests to fill a wide range of positions for Housekeepers to Estate Managers, Sommeliers to PAs, Butlers, Gardeners, Domestic Couples and everything in between!
We recruit for both seasonal positions in villas and vacation homes and permanent positions in private residences and country estates. Some roles require travel between multiple homes in various countries, some are live out positions, whilst others offer accommodation within the home or estate.
Previous experience working for private individuals or in high end service roles, such as luxury hospitality, is often desired but you can also start in an entry level position and gain experience and on the job training. Ex-yacht crew are also very well suited to these roles as they have many transferable skills. Our team has experience placing candidates looking to move ashore as well as those with previous land-based experience.
Some larger homes and estates will employ several staff who will have specific duties for example a Chef, Nanny, Butler or Laundry Person. Others will prefer someone who can oversee the general running of the home and help wherever needed. Some clients wish to hire a Domestic Couple, a team who can manage many aspects of the household, being able to work individually as well as in a team to ensure the smooth running of day-to-day activities.
The responsibilities of Private Household Staff are wide ranging but can include –
- Keeping the home well organised, clean and tidy
- Housekeeping duties and cleaning
- Taking care of laundry, ironing and wardrobe management
- Personal assistant duties and diary management
- Specialist skills, such as care of antiques or fine art
- Care of the wine cellar
- Supervision of staff
- Organisation of shoots and care of guns
- Flower arranging and table decorations
- Meeting and greeting of guests and event organisation
- Manage contractors, tradesman and suppliers
- Maintenance duties interior and exterior
- Driving and looking after the cars
- Maintenance of swimming pool and garden areas
- Front of House including table service and serving drinks
- Looking after pets and animals
Our clients look for individuals that are hands on with high attention to detail. You must be able to manage your own time, have a good work ethic and be flexible when it comes to changing demands. Good communication skills, professionalism and discretion are also very important.
Maria heads up our Shoreside desk here at Wilsonhalligan and is focused on helping to secure talent for OHNW clients for their Private Household needs as well as Maritime businesses worldwide.
If you would like to learn more about working in a Private Household, or would like help finding staff click here to talk to Maria or alternatively you can email her at Maria@wilsonhalligan.com